Makeyevka is an original city with the peculiar history and wonderful people.
The historical data
The city of Makeyevka (till 1931 it was called Dmitriyevsk) was founded in 1690. Its history begins from the Cossack settlements Yasinovka, Nizhnyaya Krynka, Zemlyanky, Makeyevka, Scheglovo, which were situated on the borderline of Yekaterinoslavskaya province and the territory of the Don Host. In 1787 Makeyevka settlement appeared, and in 1815 it became the center of the newly founded rural district (volost) of the same name.
In early 90-s of the XlX-th century the exploitation of coal-field started on the territory of the Makeyevka volost. It gave rise to the mining area and its administrative, industrial-trading and cultural center - the settlement Dmitriyevsky. With time passing the settlement grew into the city of Makeyevka.
In the middle of the XlX-th century coal-fields of coking coal were opened in Makeyevka. The first mine was built in 1859. By the 90-s of the XlX-th century the mining district with the developed network of the mining enterprises was created. In 1904 it was reorganized into the mining region. In 1907 the first district mine-rescue station was established in Russia. Due to the coal output railway transport, metallurgical, pipe casting, by-product-coking industries are developed.
In September 6, 1977 by the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR for the considerable contribution to the economic and cultural development of the country and heroic deeds during the Great Patriotic War and in connection with the two-hundredth anniversary of its foundation the city of Makeyevka was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labour.